Rainer E. Burkard
Professor of Mathematics at the
- Personal Data:
Born on January 28, 1943 in Graz, Austria.
Father: Univ. Professor Dr. Otto Burkard.
Mother: Herta Burkard, née Waidbacher.
Married with Dr. Heidemarie Burkard, née Knobloch.
Three children: Michael (born 1971),
Reinhild (born 1972) and Thomas (born 1977).
Private address: A-8010 Graz, St. Peter Pfarrweg 8a.
Ph.D. in Mathematics, University of Vienna in 1967.
Habilitation for Mathematics, University of Graz, 1971.
1967-1973 Assistant at the Institute of Applied Mathematics,
University of Graz, Austria.
1972 Visiting Professor at the University of Cologne, Germany.
1973 Research Fellow at the University of Bonn, Germany.
1973-1981 Full Professor of Applied Mathematics
at the University of Cologne, Germany.
1979-1981 joint appointment with the Technical
University of Aachen, Germany.
1981-2011 Full Professor of Mathematics
at the Technical University of Graz, Austria.
Since 10/2011 Professor emeritus at TU Graz, Austria.
1984-1986 Vice-President of GMÖOR,
1986-1988 President of the
Austrian Operations Research Society,
1995-1997 EURO Vicepresident of IFORS,
1993-1996 Dean of the Faculty of Science,
Technical University of Graz,
1994-1998 Member of the Council of the
European Consortium of Mathematics in Industry,
1991-2000 Member of the Senate of the
Doppler Research Society,
2001-2002 Vicepresident of EURO.
Applied Discrete Mathematics,
Applied Number Theory.
The Award of the Austrian Mathematical Society
The Scientific Prize of the Society of
and Operations Research in 1991,
The EURO Gold Medal 1997,
Since 1998 Honorary Member of the Hungarian
Academy of Sciences.
Since 2011 Honorary Member of the Austrian
Society of Operations Research.
Coeditor of the following journals
- Journal of Applied and Computational Mathematics
(1978 - 1989)
- Discrete Applied Mathematics (1979 - )
- European Journal of Operational Research (1981 - )
- Annals of Operations Research (1984 - )
- Belgian Journal of Operations Research, Statistics and
Computer Science (1985 - 2001 )
- Optimization (1987 - 2001)
- Zeitschrift für Operations Research (Mathematical Methods
of Operations Research) (1980 - 2006); Editor-in-chief 1984 - 1989
- Yugoslav Journal of Operations Research (1991 - 2010)
- Central European Journal for Operations Research and
Economics (1992 - )
- Czechoslovak Journal for Operations Research (until 1993)
- RAIRO Recherche Operationnelle (1992 - 2004)
- Archives of Control Sciences (1992-2011)
- The Journal of Universal Computer Science (1994 - 2012)
- Journal of Combinatorial Optimization (1995 - )
- Computing (1997 -2008 )
- Journal of Computing and Information Technology (CIT) (2000 - );
- Journal of Discrete Optimization (2004 -);
- SIAM Monographs on Discrete Mathematics and Applications
Member of the Advisory Board of Computing (1976 - 1996)
- Member of the Advisory Board of Operations Research Spektrum (1981 - 2005)
- Member of the Advisory Board of Mathematical Methods of Operations Research (2007 - )
Back to Homepage